Our mission is to maintain and improve the quality of life and bring about positive change in our Union Park community.
We are the Union Park District Council (UPDC), a neighborhood-based non-profit organization. Our job is to represent the views of our member neighborhoods—Merriam Park, Snelling Hamline, and Lexington-Hamline--to the City of Saint Paul. We are your advocate at city hall.
Over the past few years, UPDC has:
• Worked with Saint Paul police and local block clubs to address crime issues and coordinate crime prevention efforts in our neighborhoods. Our efforts on crime in Shadow Falls and Meeker Island resulted in police work, arrests, and safer parks.
• Organized the District Cleanup, an annual event that offers you an environmentally friendly way to dispose of large appliances, construction debris, and other junk that may be lurking in your garage or yard.
• Published and distributed regular newsletters about neighborhood people and happenings.
• Worked with city officials and property owners to address problem properties, noisy parties, parking, and other issues affecting the quality of life in Union Park.
• Provided neighbors’ input to city decisions on zoning variances and regulation changes.
• Represented our neighborhoods’ viewpoints in the planning of the Central Corridor light rail transit line and area redevelopment.
The Union Park District Council does all this with a small staff, working on an even smaller budget. We ask your contribution to assist us with our work. The council runs largely on volunteer labor, and we make each dollar go a long way. Help us keep our neighborhoods great places to live, work, and play.