Serving novice and experienced northern gardeners of all ages through education, encouragement and community. We connect plants and people!
THE MINNESOTA STATE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY since 1866, has been nurturing gardeners throughout Minnesota and the upper Midwest. We help gardeners—and gardens—grow by providing the following resources:
- Northern Gardener magazine - the longest running magazine published in Minnesota - resources and expert information on cold climate gardening. Coming January 2013 a digital version will be available for members and subscribers.
- Minnesota Green program - distributes over $100,000 in seeds and plants to community gardens
- Educational programs - new and experienced gardeners find advice and encouragement through a wide array of specialized classes.
- Garden-in-a-Box - provides garden boxes, soil, plants and instructions, helping people create beauty and grow healthy food in small spaces.
- Volunteers dedicate thousands of hours to encourage new gardeners and share their expertise to strengthen community.
- MSHS Library - largest circulating horticulture library in MN.
- Website www.northerngardener.org is a quick link to garden clubs, plant societies and a wide range of gardening resources
With only 55% of our operating cost covered by membership and subscription dues, we rely on additional contributions to not only sustain the services we offer to members, but to expand those services to those who have yet to discover the many benefits that gardening offers.