MSHS provides resources and programs for cold-climate gardening-from beginner to expert. Your support today will help expand these efforts.
THE MINNESOTA STATE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY (MSHS) has provided resources to gardeners in this region since 1866. MSHS programs help every northern gardener - from beginners to experts - achieve better results in their gardens.
- Garden-in-a-Box provides garden boxes, soil, vegetable plants and instruction to schools and low income families throughout the Twin Cities and around Minnesota. The program helps people develop basic gardening skills as they learn to grow healthy food in small spaces.
- Minnesota Green distributes over $100,000 each year in donated seeds and plants to community and public space gardens, to help beautify neighborhoods and to provide residents with locally-grown food.
- Northern Gardener magazine is the only publication edited exclusively for cold climate gardening, and is available in both print and digital editions.
- Educational programs: a wide variety of classes on specialized gardening topics are offered throughout the year.
- MSHS Library largest circulating horticultural library in the state.
- Online www.northerngardener.org is a quick link to a wide range of gardening resources, and the blog "Notes from Northern Gardener" www.blog.northerngardener.org attracts over 3,000 monthly visitors.
With only 55% of our operating cost covered by membership and subscription dues, we rely on additional contributions to not only sustain the services we offer to members, but to expand those services to those who have yet to discover the many benefits that gardening offers.