MARCH is MN FOODSHARE MONTH! Your donation helps double our food purchasing power. Thank you for becoming a Merrick Food Share Partner!
The mission of Merrick Community Services is to improve the lives of the residents of the East Side of St. Paul by empowering individuals, strengthening families, and promoting their independence.
We recognize each person’s unique needs and abilities.
We capitalize on the organization’s talents, skills, and resources to adapt to changing needs in the community.
We encourage individuals and groups to act responsibly on behalf of themselves and our community.
We value open and honest communication.
We act with sincerity to honor the values of Merrick Community Services.
SERVICES & PROGRAMS
Emergency Services MCS operates two food shelves that address the basic need for emergency food for families and individuals living on the East Side and bordering East metro communities
Employment Services provides the following programs to support economic stability by enabling low income residents to get and keep jobs
- Job Bank MCS staff assists participants in resume building, job retention and job search. Training is offered in soft skills, interview skills, interpersonal communication and resolving conflict. A walk-in Resource Room is available daily for job search activities.
- Construction Training Program For the unemployed and under employed MCS offers a ten-week construction and environmental training program. MCS staff recruits, trains, places and tracks forty students a year. Additional instruction includes life skills, which address the common barriers to success and long-term employment. MCS staff works with local contractors to place graduates in construction jobs.
Family Services offers a variety of programs to strengthen and promote healthy families.
- Family Support uses a strength-based approach that includes teaching, coaching, modeling and advocacy. Merrick Staff connects families to resources in the community that will address their immediate needs and assist them in working towards their short and long term goals.
- Parenting Education and Groups MCS offering a variety of classes, workshops and support groups dealing with parenting, child development, domestic violence, and other issues.
- Family Gatherings MCS believes that one of the keys to healthy families is having fun together. To provide families with this opportunity, we offer Family Fun Nights, and inter-generational activities that strengthen the bond between children and parents/guardians.
- Merrick Parents in Action is a community leadership group training for parents. Child development education is provided along with peer-to-peer support. Special speakers, workshops and parenting sessions enhance parents' knowledge and networks.
Senior Services provides services aimed at supporting senior independence, health and well-being.
- Meals on Wheels. Merrick Community Services
operates the largest Meals on Wheels program in Ramsey County, delivering nutritious food to elderly residents of the East Side from Monday through
Friday each week.
- Brown Bag and Food For Life. Merrick offers food
distribution through Brown Bag and Food for Life for seniors.
- Chore Assistance Program. This program helps seniors maintain their independence and ability to remain in their homes by providing housekeeping, yard work, snow removal and minor household repairs.
- Referral Services. Referral services help
connect seniors with senior resources and programs
within the community.
- Social Group. A social group meets weekly for activities, trips, interaction, or lectures and speakers, in order to sustain older residents’ active lifestyles and continued engagement with the community