To provide programs that help every northern gardener-from beginner to expert-achieve better results in their garden.
Since 1866 the Minnesota State Horticultural Society has been nurturing gardeners. Recent studies show that a renewed interest in gardening is taking hold, whether out of economic necessity, an urge to produce your own food, or concerns about the environment. There is a large scale need to educate and inspire the people who will plant tomorrow's gardens, and it is the mission of MSHS to provide that support.
- Readers rely upon NORTHERN GARDENER magazine-the longest running magazine published in Minnesota-for resources and expert information on cold climate gardening.
- Each year our acclaimed MINNESOTA GREEN program distributes over $100,000 in donated seeds and plants to community gardens, encouraging people to gather and garden in cities, suburbs and small towns throughout Minnesota.
- Gardeners find advice and encouragement through a wide array of specialized CLASSES like preserving the garden harvest, winter seed starting and more.
- GARDEN-IN-A-BOX provides garden boxes, soil, plants and instructions to low income families on how to have a first time garden in a 3x4 space.
- Dedicated VOLUNTEERS provide thousandsof hours of their time to encourage new gardeners, share their expertise and support our many programs.
- MSHS LIBRARYis one of the largest circulating horticulture libraries in Minnesota.
- our WEBSITE, www.northerngardener.org is a quick link to garden clubs, societies, garden centers and a wide range of gardening resources.
- New for 2013 is a DIGITAL VERSION OF NORTHERN GARDENER, a added benefit to members and subscribers.
- Follow us on TWITTER, FACEBOOK and our blog.northerngardener.org