Create a Better World for Pit Bulls and Rottweilers
A Rotta Love Plus has several core programs that provide community assistance, outreach, and education. These include:
1. Rehoming (Foster/Adoption program)
2. Get Your Fix (Spay/Neuter)
3. Rott n’ Pit Ed (Training classes for dogs and owners)
4. Priority Paws - (Therapy dog program for youth in crisis)
5. Dog Safety / Humane Education
1) Rehoming - from castoff to cherished companion
ARLP believes in quality over quantity in our foster & adoption program. We carefully select both the dogs we intake and the homes we foster them in. We then provide on-going assessment and support to both to ensure the dogs become the best they can. We are not “first come, first serve” – we work carefully with applicants to make the best fit for both dog and adopter.
2) Get Your Fix! Fairs - Altering our communities one dog at a time
Get Your Fix! provides free spays/neuters, vaccinations and low-cost microchips to pit bulls and Rottweilers. Get Your Fix! wants to be where the community needs us the most in order to decrease the number of stray, abandoned, and abused pit bulls and Rottweilers. Get Your Fix! serves as a trusted resource for the Twin Cities community and addresses the overpopulation of pit bulls and Rottweilers one dog at a time. In 2012, we will alter 300 dogs and, with your help, our goal is to alter 500 dogs in 2013.
3) Rott n' Pit Ed - Changing minds with well-trained pit bulls and Rottweilers and their knowledgeable owners
ARLP believes in building and fostering strong relationships between dogs and their owners. We achieve this through a balanced approach to training. Dogs need leaders as well as companions. Rott n’ Pit Ed outfits owners with a variety of training methods and tools to ensure the right approach is taken for each dog as an individual. Members of the general public can enroll in the class with their Rottweiler or pit bull for a fee (donation).
2) PRIORITY Paws -(Pitbull and Rottweiler Interactive OutReach, Instruction, and Therapy for Youth) Paws program
PRIORITY Paws conducts free dog-therapy groups to youth in crisis who reside in local youth-services organizations. Pit bulls and Rottweilers provide the youth with a tremendously powerful parallel: the dogs’ stories of abuse, neglect, and negative social perception often mirror those of the youth, and can inspire the youth with stories of redemption and resiliency. The youth are then enabled to work through their crisis using the lessons and skills that only the dogs can teach.
5) Dog Safety / Humane Education
A Rotta Love Plus provides unique dog safety and humane education to youth, adults, and organizations. It integrates CGC or therapy-registered dogs in a hands-on learning experience that increases knowledge about humane treatment of animals and reduces the risk of dog bites