GiveMN is a collaborative venture to transform philanthropy in Minnesota by growing overall giving and moving more of it online. The idea is actually simple – GiveMN.org is a website that features Minnesota nonprofits and schools. GiveMN markets giving opportunities and donor tools to people who care about Minnesota. GiveMN helps them find, connect and engage with the causes that they care about. The GiveMN model combines a state-of-the-art national technology platform with local knowledge and trust-based relationships.
The result is a uniquely dynamic nonprofit marketplace that has quickly established itself as the destination for online giving in Minnesota.
GiveMN was designed and launched by the Minnesota Community Foundation in 2009 in partnership with 14 other funders. They were inspired by trailblazing e-philanthropy ventures such as Kiva and DonorsChoose that were using technology to create powerful, personal giving experiences for donors. GiveMN’s founders wanted to leverage technology to increase giving in Minnesota.
Transforming Philanthropy in Minnesota
Since its launch in November 2009, GiveMN has facilitated more than $62 million in donations to 6,600 Minnesota nonprofits and schools. Nearly half of all Minnesota nonprofits report that GiveMN is their primary online giving vehicle. And in GiveMN’s 2010 donor survey, 68% of donors reported that online giving was their preferred method of giving compared to 46% in 2009. The same survey showed that the percentage of those preferring to give by check dropped from 83% to 30%.
GiveMN is now one of the nation’s leading web portals for charitable giving, actually outpacing the amount of donations made on Facebook Causes. Although there are many national online giving platforms for people to choose from, GiveMN is unique. GiveMN believes that its success is not in-spite of the fact that it is local but rather because it is local.
GiveMN has helped thousands of Minnesotans donate to charities they love.
Benefits to Nonprofits
- Get in front of more supporters.GiveMN's search function helps nonprofits of all sizes reach thousands of new potential donors.
- Reduce fundraising costs. Raising $1 online costs 7 cents, as opposed to 20 cents for grant writing or up to $1.25 to acquire new donors through direct mail.
- Increase giving. Fun and compelling campaigns engage new givers and inspire current givers to donate even more.
Benefits to Donors
- Find, learn about and contribute to local and national programs that support the causes in which they believe.
- Become more organized. GiveMN provides the ability to record all online and offline contributions and store receipts.
- Make online donations quickly and easily to any U.S.-registered 501 (c) (3) by credit card.
- Take advantage of new charitable capabilities. Through GiveMN, users will be able to leverage flexible tools that can be used to support and promote the causes donors most care about.